Wednesday 18 April 2012

Heart the Hostel Staff

Now that I have been travelling for two months I am no longer timid to meet others; to just walk up to someone and begin a chat.  I beleive this is the common way for travellers.  In Zaragoza, I did not make a single friend that was visiting the hostel.  I woke up Tuesday morning with laundry in hand and walked up to reception.  I started asking my questions to Eric, the staff at that moment.  He showed me where to do laundry and after hanging everything on the line in the alley I picked his brain a bit more.  He gave me great knowledge of the town.  He is from Belgium and he has lived in Canada and Mexico before Spain.  I think that making friends with the hostel staff makes for the ultimate experience.  They are always from somewheres other than where you are currently at and they understand the lonliness of the lone traveller.  (Not to forget, if it´s 4am and you have the munchies they also have access to the toast; high five dude-i-forgot-your-name in Camden Town).

It was 3pm by the time I had a pair of pants dry enough to wear and Eric´s shift was about to be over so he invited me to Tapas.  I was so happy because I´ve been making dinner at the hostels lately due to the fact that it can be a bit sad to sit alone in a restaurant.  I´ve done it regardless, but it is no where´s near as much fun as sharing tapas and stories.

In Alicante, I got to hang out with one of the staff one night.  She took us to the best spots and showed me the trampoline in the middle of the street.  I beleive her name was Hannah, and that she was from Sweden, it is so hard to keep track when you meet new people everyday.  The extremely nice dude working there, Alfie, turned out to be the owner of the hostel.  He is from Miami and while travelling he decided to open up his own hostel called Alicante X.  After I discovered this I non-chalantly told him my plan was to open up an Alicante Y accross the street.  It´s a chromsome thing.  I was messing with him and he actually offered me a job.

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea that you're hanging your clothes out to dry. It is one of my most favourite things, it is; the smell of clean clothes that were hung up outside. It reminds me of my grandmother. <3

    What was underneath that tramamompoline?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Under the trampoline? Well trolls of course!

    ReplyDelete