Sunday 29 April 2012

The Conquering Lion

German words are the greatest!

I arrived in Germany at 2am on a Tuesday morning.  A little less than 3 weeks earlier I had arrived by plane from Palermo to Seville.  I had no clue  I was landing into a city that was in the midst of their biggest celebration of the year.  It took me 4 hours to find my hostel as I was walking around getting stopped in every direction by parades, very large statues of Jesus, marching bands, incense carriers and crowds of all ages.  But this is another story so I will get to the point.  I had to check out the next day and upon waking up and crawling out of bed I see a cute girl pop her head from the top bunk and was like, 'Hello!'  We got to chatting and I learned she is from Germany so I told her how I really wanted to go to Germany to see Bernhoft play as he was in the middle of his tour.  She said that she was already going to the show in Frankfurt and that I could come stay with her if I made it there!  What a great push I needed to get on the ball rolling towards conquering another goal I've had while travelling.  I had to leave to Malaga soon after so once there I borrowed a computer and purchased my plane ticket from Madrıd to Frankfurt for around 50 Euros.  I also got my Bernhoft tıcket and thıngs were set ın stone.



So 2am in Frankfurt and I am on an empty street trying to work the pay phones and this sweet girl asks me if I would like to use her mobile.  Thankfully I called Danny up and she said to come on over!  Then this sweet girl offered me a ride with her friends and they dropped me off right at Danny's place!  How amazing!

The next day I wake up and I see this quote on Danny's wall, the same Goethe quote I found on the side of a building in Toronto the day I was downtown for a job interview to build a robot costume for a kid's show!  The day I found the quote I immediately took a photo and shared it with those people in my life whom I thought could benefit from the inspiration.


We ended up visiting the Goethe house that day and it was really cool to see such wonderfully well-preserved furniture and art.  The most interesting being this clock:


We went to the Bernhoft show that night and it was such an amazing tıme!  I am so happy about how I've been able to set goals for myself before leaving on this trip and going through and completing them one step at a time.  And it is even more rewarding when I have a new wonderful friend to share the experiences and joy with!

This man is brilliant.



1 comment:

  1. How serendipitous the experiences of the lone traveler :) That clock is unreal.
    And you're right, he IS brilliant, I think I like him better than Yoav.

    ReplyDelete