Sunday 8 April 2012

2 Weeks Ago Today

I have so much to say and as soon as I get on a computer my mind draws a blank.  So I will back track a few weeks and speak of my amazing race.  My last (non-traveling) day in Greece was exactly 2 weeks ago today.  It was Independence day in Greece so no buses were working and I lost an hour due to the time change.  So Monday morning I got up to go catch a bus to get to the ferry port and the bus for 10:30 was sold out and I had to catch the noon bus.  So I waited and caught the later bus.  Then I arrive at the point where I had to buy another ticket and switch to the next bus to Patras and had to wait another 3 hours.  I watched 4 buses go by heading to Patras and watched people who were on the same bus as me get on and I just sat waiting patiently hoping that my bus was not delayed and that I would arrive a mere 30 minutes before my ferry leaves to Italy.  I stayed patient and got to Patras bus station with about 20 minutes to get to the ferry port and also retrieve my ticket from the office.  I grabbed a cab and ended up arriving at the port with 12 minutes to spare.  I got my ticket and ran to the boat as they were beginning to take off the chains and set sail.  I made it.  I was relieved.  Since it was my second time now taking that long ferry I quickly snagged myself a whole row of seats and went to bed at 7pm knowing that I would be in and out of rest all night.  I arrived in Bari the next day and immediately bought a ticket to Napoli.  Everything worked out smoothly.  I summoned my turtle instinct the entire time and it gave me such peace.

Oh the turtle.  Shall I explain this one without sounding entirely crazy?  I had a moment with 2 turtles during my second stay in Athens.  They came after me.  It was surreal.  Then I realized what a turtle I am.  How when I was a little girl I would hide under a table when I was upset.  Or how I slept in a sleeping bag for so many years feeling safe inside my shell.  How I act so tough and like nothing bothers me but deep down inside every little thing effects me I just do not speak up about it.  How I move slow in life, late to travel but waiting for the right time.  I now love turtles.  It´s my new thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment