Wednesday 18 April 2012

Carpe Diem! (I´ll sleep when I´m dead)

I have travelled along the Spain coastline from Sevilla to Malaga.  From Malaga to Alicante. From Alicante to Barcelona, including a day trip to Figueres.  I´ve realised on this trip that I cannot see everything.  There were so many places that I wanted to pass through but if I had done so I would not be able to explore enough of each place I visit.  As well, more trains and busses means more money.  Lugging a heavy bag around for months is not the simplest task.  It makes me need to stop in a place for longer than a day to give my legs and back a break. 

I gave Barcelona 5 days.  Today is day 6 and I am off.  It was hard to leave, I could easily have stayed another week.  I did not get to half of the places I wanted to see but I did take the time to find the obscure cafes and bars, to meet new people and sit in a park and stare at the passerby´s.  I bought fresh fruit, cheese and meat from the market. 



I met locals and travellers.  I walked the streets and saw the most amazing architecture that I´ve ever seen in any city I´ve been to thus far.  I had the absolute pleasure of being one of the first guests at an amazing hostel run by fellow drifters.  The beds were brand new and I got to christian them with my drool.



This past week has been the hardest for sleeping.  I got really exhausted and worn out.  Started getting loopy and losing my thoughts.  Grabbing zzzz´s for mere minutes on trains.  I almost let my fatigue get the better of me.  My new friends wanted me to go out with them Friday night but I had to decline.  I ended up chatting ´till 2am with Phillipe, one of the hostel owners, then went to bed.  Within an hour my 5 roomates came home and did not oblige the common hostel ettiquette.  In a hostel, the rooms are known for areas of sleep.  There are common rooms to hang out in and then there´s the bar that you just came from that you do not have to leave if you are not yet ready to sleep.  In a room of 6, it was 5 against one, it´s the hostel way of bullying I suppose.  So these kids chatted and giggled like fucking school girls for hours.  Finally they quieted down for a couple of hours.  Then their alarm went off at 7:30am.  It took awhile for them to shut it off, they got up and began play fighting, playing on the laptop and giggling and chatting.  I thought they must be leaving to go out so I figured I´d wait it out, cancel my plans to go to Figueres until Sunday, and sleep once they left.  But then they just went back to bed at 8:30am.  What the fuck was the point of that?  So here I lay, exhausted beyond belief and annoyed to fantasies of murderous rampage.  So I said, Fuck it, CARPE DIEM!!  I can sleep when I´m dead.  I got up, I showered and then I got the fuck out of there. 



I got to Figueres and completed a dream I have had for over 10 years.  I got back to the hostel at 9pm; gone for 12 hours.  Retarded and tired but I promised my hostel mates that I would party with them and I am a woman of my word.  In the end, I lead 12 people (including the roomates) to the streets.  Why they put the most whacked out person in charge is beyond me.  Half of them wanted a club the other half wanted a bar then a club.  So I walked them down a side street and a woman was handing out flyers for free shots so I said, OK our first stop on my pub crawl is the place that gives free shots.  I found the couch at the back and sat my tired ass down.  The music was groovy, just the way I like it!  I had one beer and one shot and I started chatting.  I ended up talking to the people who work and frequent the bar so when my mates decided it was club time I just stuck with my comfy couch and groovy music.  I ended up sticking around ´till long after the bar was closed and singing along with the staff.  The bartender´s name was Africa and she sang like an angel.  Ironically, Phillipe had showed me this Stand By Me video before heading out that night.



I had to whisper the lyrics to Africa because she did not know them but sang so beautifully I just had to hear it.  Sunday came around and my asshole roomates pulled the same crap on me again.  I hope they fall off  a cliff.  I´m not even joking.  The world is over-populated as is, no one is going to miss those ignorant french students.  I guess the apple doesn´t fall far from the tree.  I woke up exhausted still but I managed to get another 2 hours in after the dickheads finally bounced.

I was too tired to climb le mountain so I just chilled on the couch in the living room.  Phillipe let me use his compter but I didn´t end up getting much research done because I got to chatting to the homeland.  It is hard when óne has been gone for so long.  I want so bad to chat and share stories but I need to research too.  I´ll be home in a month, I shall share all adventures then (while everyone sits around on their iphones...).  The hostel owners asked me if I would like to have dinner with them and I said, I will never say no to food!  Phillipe made the greatest carbonara, which brings me to my next post.

1 comment:

  1. <3 this post. Love the fountain...

    Raises an angry tiny fist at the crazy frenchies and their rudeness towards my sleepy dear.

    ReplyDelete