Monday 17 September 2012

Kindred's


"THE BEST PEOPLE POSSESS A FEELING FOR BEAUTY, THE COURAGE TO TAKE RISKS, THE DISCIPLINE TO TELL THE TRUTH, THE CAPACITY FOR SACRIFICE. IRONICALLY, THEIR VIRTUES MAKE THEM VULNERABLE; THEY ARE OFTEN WOUNDED, SOMETIMES DESTROYED."
~   Ernest Hemingway 


 "WHEN PEOPLE DON’T EXPRESS THEMSELVES, THEY DIE ONE PIECE AT A TIME. YOU’D BE SHOCKED AT HOW MANY ADULTS ARE REALLY DEAD INSIDE—WALKING THROUGH THEIR DAYS WITH NO IDEA WHO THEY ARE, JUST WAITING FOR A HEART ATTACK OR CANCER OR A MACK TRUCK TO COME ALONG AND FINISH THE JOB. IT’S THE SADDEST THING I KNOW."
~   Laurie Halse Anderson, Speak

"HOW DO YOU PICK UP THE THREADS OF AN OLD LIFE? HOW DO YOU GO ON WHEN IN YOUR HEART YOU BEGIN TO UNDERSTAND…THERE IS NO GOING BACK? THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT TIME CANNOT MEND; SOME HURTS THAT GO TOO DEEP THAT HAVE TAKEN HOLD."
~   The Lord of the Rings, The Return of the King

 "EXPLORATION IS IN OUR NATURE. WE BEGAN AS WANDERERS, AND WE ARE WANDERERS STILL. WE HAVE LINGERED LONG ENOUGH ON THE SHORES OF THE COSMIC OCEAN. WE ARE READY AT LAST TO SET SAIL FOR THE STARS."
~   Carl Saga

 "WORDS. WORDS. I PLAY WITH WORDS, HOPING THAT SOME COMBINATION, EVEN A CHANCE COMBINATION, WILL SAY WHAT I WANT."
~   Doris Lessing

"I’ve been so many places. Nowhere could ever tie me down. All I ever wanted was so much more than life in a small town. I find it hard to hide my feelings. Looking down to ancient buildings, looking down on me towering above. Time was standing still as we fell in love."
- The Gossip, Love in a Foreign Place


"YOU ARE THE UNIVERSE, EXPRESSING ITSELF AS A HUMAN FOR A LITTLE WHILE"
~   Eckhart Tolle

 "EXPECTATION IS THE ROOT OF ALL HEARTACHE."
~   William Shakespeare

 "THEY DON’T TEACH YOU THIS IN SCHOOL. THEY DON’T SHOW YOU THE BEAUTY OF EXISTING, THEY DON’T SHOW YOU THE WONDER OF THE EARTH, THEY DON’T SHOW YOU THE UNITY THAT HUMAN BEINGS ARE. THEY SHOW YOU WHO’S BETTER, WHO’S WORSE. THEY SHOW YOU WHAT THEY NEED TO SHOW YOU IN ORDER FOR THEIR SYSTEM TO SURVIVE. THEY DON’T SHOW YOU LOVE."
~   LITERATURE ON HIGH 

 LOTR QUOTES
“All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wonder are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, the crownless again shall be king.

 "THE BEST MOMENTS IN READING ARE WHEN YOU COME ACROSS SOMETHING—A THOUGHT, A FEELING, A WAY OF LOOKING AT THINGS—WHICH YOU HAD THOUGHT WAS SPECIAL AND PARTICULAR TO YOU. AND NOW, HERE IT IS, SET DOWN BY SOMEONE ELSE, A PERSON YOU HAVE NEVER MET, SOMEONE EVEN WHO IS LONG DEAD. AND IT IS AS IF A HAND HAS COME OUT, AND TAKEN YOURS."
~   Alan Bennett

I can see this from my front porch
 "THE ARTS ARE NOT A WAY TO MAKE A LIVING. THEY ARE A VERY HUMAN WAY OF MAKING LIFE MORE BEARABLE. PRACTICING AN ART, NO MATTER HOW WELL OR BADLY, IS A WAY TO MAKE YOUR SOUL GROW, FOR HEAVEN’S SAKE. SING IN THE SHOWER. DANCE TO THE RADIO. TELL STORIES. WRITE A POEM TO A FRIEND, EVEN A LOUSY POEM. DO IT AS WELL AS YOU POSSIBLE CAN. YOU WILL GET AN ENORMOUS REWARD. YOU WILL HAVE CREATED SOMETHING."
~   Kurt Vonnegut

 "IF I’M FREE, IT’S BECAUSE I’M ALWAYS RUNNING."
~   Jimi Hendrix 

 "A lot of people can’t be on their own. They get frightened. Isolation doesn’t bother me at all. It gives me a sense of security."
- Jimmy Page


"If something is wrong, it matters not if a thousand men are for it; you must still oppose it. If something is just, no amount of popular outcry should stay you from your course."
- Terry Goodkin

...and today I realize that I read Charles Bukowski when I was in grade school... grade 7 or 8, because Daniel Johns said he read it on Much Music... One could even speculate that I had a premonition of this realization this afternoon, I saw a fresh loaf of rye on the kitchen counter and immediately thought of ham.  A thought I am conditioned to have every time since I read Ham on Rye.  Until right now, I did not remember that it was a Bukowski novel.

Sources:  http://freemindinfinitesoul.tumblr.com/
&
http://thebiteoftheshe-wolf.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment