Sunday 11 March 2012

Exarchia

It took us a lot longer to get to Greece than expected.  It was my longest travel day thus far but so well worth it!  I left Roma at 2:something on a Wednesday and arrived in Patras, Greece the next day around 2:something as well.  From Patras we had to get to a bus station to travel to Athens.  The bus ride was about 3 hours and it was the most beautiful scenery that I have seen so far on this journey of mine.  Mountains to the right of me the sea to the left and here I am stuck in the middle!  

Actually the train ride from Rome to Bari reminded me of the mountain train ride at Wonderland.  It was spectacular... But Greece killed it, sorry; the Greeks love competition!

So after the bus ride there was a train ride.  Thankfully we met some little brothers on our way to Athens.  One was from Argentina and he joined us on our journey and the other is from Greece and he helped us find Athens.  People are great.

We arrived in Athens hours later than expected but we still managed to find our apartment that we rented for 3 nights and it only cost me 9.50 Euros a night!  Airbnb is where it's at; I got two turn tables and a micro-phone.  The ad for the apartment said "tiny studio with view of Acropolis".  It was accurate.  We were on top of a building with a wonderful view of the Acropolis; Our home was a room with a little bathroom.  Half of the apartment was outside.  It felt like we were camping on a roof in Athens.  Special special special.  I was all out of clean clothes so I had to wash some stuff in the sink and hang it on that balcony.  Funny stuff my friends, funny stuff.

So we went to the Acropolis on Friday.  As we were walking we pass the cutest little used/vintage store.  We go in and look around; I buy a necklace for 1.20 Euros.  There was an extremely funky version of Seven Nation Army playing on the radio; I heard it in Rome too but I think Adam Levine was singing along to it in that version.  Anyway the girl working there told us to go to "Exarchia".  We thought it was a bar or a club... It is an area.  We found it later on that night.  I tried to upload a video but it is not working of course; maybe another day.  

Exarchia is a neighbourhood and there is a square where people hang out.  It is peaceful despite the news.  There was a campfire in the middle of the city; how magical is that?  It is a place of Anarchy let's be honest here.  But it is the good kind of Anarchy.  The kind of place where police don't bug you and you can meet people and talk politics and a sweet old man will sing me a song.  The dogs run free and mess around it is so cute.  Some say it is dangerous but this is my experience of Exarchia:

Cuddle Time
I had been for-warned of the Greek men before coming to Greece and I must state that we have had no problems with Greek men.  Everyone has been super kind and so freaking unbelievably nice and truly looking out for us and our safety.  Not only that, before coming to Greece I would randomly buy an apple at a market; I did this pretty much everywhere else I've been to so far.  But in Greece when we passed through a market and I asked for one apple the man laughed and said to take it.  We go for dinner and the waiter gives us free drinks.  We change apartments today and the sweet woman who owns the place with her husband just brought us dinner while I am writing this.  They expect nothing in return.  It is truly remarkable in this land of philosophy and art; the first place I can really see myself living.




No comments:

Post a Comment