Saturday 21 July 2012

Taking Pride in Your Work

I could've written a brilliant piece the other night but I was far too concerned with getting the appropriate amount of sleep so that I could function up to par at work the next day.  I laid there in bed that night while shadows danced on my walls, words racing through my mind a mile a minute, true and definite solutions coming intensely to the forefront of my mind creating clarity and excitable calmness.  I felt remarkably in touch with "reality" and as much as I wanted to hold down those thoughts with the reigns of writing I made the choice to shut down my head and count myself off into the wonders of the dream world.  Of course I could not remember those brilliant thoughts the next day.  However a few days later one aspect of those ideas that night came back to me;  that dying must feel an awful lot like dancing.  Reaching upwards and swaying in the midst of colours...

I am OK with losing that self proclaimed brilliant thought.  I decided to sleep at a decent hour because I had to be at work; if I was late I would be letting down too many people.  This past week I took care of 16 children, 6 of whom I knew from last summer.  People can go about dismissing the adults they work with and for but with children it is a different mind set.  There is so much hope that these kids could become something so fantastic and you better believe that I'm not going to be the one to disappoint them.  I will not be late or hungover or  unhealthy because I want to help persevere their innocence the best I can.  I want to keep their dreams alive, show them that this world is beautiful and that life is filled with wanderlust. At the end of the day, when the kids don't want to go home or don't even notice that the end of the day is here it gives me that sense of accomplishment that I did my job well.  I am so proud of the work I did this past week and even more so that there will be "forever memories".

I do many jobs at random times and the truth is that I am proud of it all, this includes the work that I do not get paid to do and I appreciate it when it is not dismissed as a hobby or a waste of time.  Even something as simple as writing this blog, to me, is still my work that I enjoy and am proud to share and be a part of.  Ever since society has put a monetary hold on our work we have lost sight of what we should be doing in order to create a happy and well-functioning life.  I am done with people who judge anyone on how much they make.  I've had enough of those who work in a field, not because they enjoy it and it moves their soul, but because it  makes them enough money to hold up a certain stature in society.  Let's get free and forget about the ridiculous doctrine that work is not acceptable unless it is 9-5 and brings you down and inhibits you from enjoying the finer things that life has to offer.  After all, freedom is another word for nothing left to lose.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you... and I find beautiful and right what you have written here! see you dear Trish! ;-)

    ReplyDelete