Friday 27 July 2012

Nature Lately


We all are aware that life is changing on this planet; there is no denying this shift in weather.  My prediction is that those who have a close relationship to nature will survive and make it through these strange times and those who cannot find this inherited connection will surely falter under pressure.  My advice is to stay close to nature:  Feel it.  Be a part of it as much as possible.  Stand in reverence to a sunrise or sunset.  Notice the trees and fields as you drive past.  Pay close attention to the wind and storms, notice how this is remarkably connected to emotional upheaval and heated situations.  Once you tune into Mother Nature it becomes easier to predict where she moves next.

Don't forget about the animals.  Even the insects.  Notice the ones who attract the most bug bites or see more butterflies on the regular.  Gaze at the birds, watch their patterns, find their nests.  As much as I loathe insect bites, rodent scares, creepy crawly's; I can't help but feel a part of them all.  I am attracted to animals like a magnet, even the less fluffy and squishy ones.  Last year I had a cat that would visit me on my porch all summer long, I dubbed him my "porch cat" and gave him the name Finnegan.  He survived the winter and is back again this year with friendly greetings, keeping me company on these peaceful evenings.  I found a mouse on my dresser late one night.  It frightened me to no end for a minute but upon closer inspection I realized he's just a teensy mousy scared shitless of me.  My landlord/uncle made the executive decision to set up a trap and seize his life but the trap came up dry the next day.  I was relieved.  I wanted so bad to save Herbert the night he came to me but I did not have the courage to snatch him up by his tail and put him in a box to release out in the field.  I wished I had those gloves bird people use to handle vultures...

Herbert

The dead fish on the beach this year are twice the size of the ones I would find last year.  The water is remarkably lower and warmer.  It has felt like 37 degrees Celsius for weeks now.  We did not even have to shovel snow off the driveway this past winter.  The change is not just here in Canada for I strolled the parks of London in a t-shirt this past February!  It becomes even more evident the more we share our stories and meet people from around the world.  If your mind and heart is open enough we realize that we are all on the same boat as citizens of this Earth.  We are born from the Earth and are a part of it always.  One Love.




1 comment:

  1. Over tea tomorrow, we must discuss these noises heard around the world. I want your take.

    ReplyDelete