Tuesday 28 February 2012

A Bit of a Re-cap

My favourite thing about Paris is that around every corner there's someone playing an accordian; I love the sounds of the street.  But my least favourite thing is that le metro smells like 500 year old piss and vomit and it is not good for the weakened stomach.

I got lucky at my Paris hostel because they upgraded me from a 6 bed dorm to a 4 bed with ensuite and my roomates are very nice and are here for a few days.  Back in London my room was an 8 bed and people switched over every single day; in the five days I was there I felt like the boss of the room especially on my last day when I got the entire dorm to myself!

I met the most wonderful people in London and I had an epiphany about how people can come into your life one day and you can grow a bond so quick but then the next day either they leave or you leave and it's all over baby blue.  But that is my favourite thing about facebook, that they don't walk out forever and if our paths ever cross again it is much easier to be able to meet up and share adventures once again.

While in London I was having trouble expressing my thoughts but since I've arrived in Paris all I want to do is write down everything I'm feeling; I am finding it to be a truly inspiring place.

My room in Paris is on the 5th floor so if I forget something up there I really don't want to climb back up since my legs are so royally f-ed up...  It must be from an old soccer injury when I was 14 I got hurt and my knee kept giving out on me.  It's the only explanation I can think of for this abnormal pain.  Perhaps I should've travelled in my early 20's like I had originally planned until I wimped out and let a stupid boy run my life.  I keep getting reminded of the movie 'Revolutionary Road' while in Paris.  I felt for Kate Winslet's character but all I can say about that is for all the woman who gave up on their dreams I will do my darndest to live mine for you.

The music in my Paris hostel rocks I really love the groove here so much.  In London I kept hearing Canadian music everywhere I went, it made me proud.  I heard Feist at a bar and everyone loves Tegan and Sara... clearly more than we do in Canada... I also heard Aloe Blacc (unrelated to the topic of Canadiana music) twice while there!

I met a few ignorant racist Americans from Arizona while in London.  They weren't actually ignorant or racist but they called themselves racist not I; I did however add the ignorant part.  I had to explain to them that they must really hate a culture to be racist so we came to the conclusion that they just like stereotypes an awful lot.  They shared my love of Billy Madison which was refreshing.  The one dude had been travelling for the past 9 months and he had finally had an epiphany when he was comparing money.  He realized that on all USA money 'in god we trust' is written on it.  But on either english money or australian (forgive my memory) Darwin is placed on it which is evolution at it's best.  Religion and Evolution don't exactly see eye to eye and it was lovely watching an American realize the faults of their country; which has many faults.  Anyway we spent our time together making fun of eachother.  Which reminds me of another story...

So like most people know, in England when someone is kidding around they say that they're 'taking a piss' at you.  One night I kept accidently messing that phrase up and saying that I was 'taking a shit' on you...  Oooops!  I guess that might be considered verbal diareah?

Almost as bad as when I forgot that Nigeria was a country and not a province of Africa... When I told those lovely Nigerians that I was from Toronto they said, oh we have family in Mississauga!  Never would I have thought that I would go to England and meet someone from Nigeria who knew where the hell Mississauga was!

There is a kitchen at my hostel and people are cooking and making me hungry I should get over to le market and buy some food to make.  I adore the window displays of food in Paris.  I know a lot of folk love looking at naked woman and stuff but I'd take beautiful displays of food and architecture over that any day... but different strokes for different folks right?

I keep having dreams that I'm back home but am quite aware that my adventure is no wheres near done so I start running around looking for a plane to get back!

While in London I thought I would get that feeling that I had been there before like I so often do but to my surprise I did not.  I am on a quest to find past life regression and I am trying to stay in tune to my intuition as much as possible.  I feel it a tiny bit more in Paris but not enough to feel convinced.  I'm not mad I just have many unconventional views on life.  I'm sure I'll eventually explain more soon enough.

I think my favourite day in London was the day of the Abbey Road walk.  A week before I left Mississauga while at our local bar called 'Abbey Road', I looked up at the picture of the infamous album cover and I so boldly stated that I would be doing that in abouts one week.  I said that I would find some people at my hostel and recruit them to take part in my mission.  I am forever thankful of the 3 Aussies and The zany Dutch whom so willingly helped me fullfil my goal.  It is such a great feeling to go through with a dream and make it reality.  And it doesn't hurt a bit to do it whilst giggling the entire time! 

Oh Paris how I Love THEE!!!!  Just right now someone in my hostel picked up a guitar and started singing 'Californication'!  I am moved everyday; I am getting more emotional the older I get.  I feel it all so much.  I almost broke down when I saw the Eiffel Tower last night.  The only way I can explain this is that I really appreciate life and I don't take it for granted...not anymore and not ever again.  When I see the Mediterranean I will weep like a baby; in the best possible way.  Only 'Happy Tears' right Dad?

3 comments:

  1. can't stop reading!!
    I'm so wishing i was there with you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, are you from Mississauga Canada? That's where I live! :) I hope you're really enjoying your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am enjoying and growing thank you! Yes I am born in Toronto but raised in Mississauga. I am shocked that someone I don't know is taking the time to read my silly writing. What a wonderful world :)

    ReplyDelete