Friday 11 January 2013

We Don't Need No Education

While waiting for the Hobbit to begin at the theater the other night, an advertisement for a college/university came on screen.  I have been feeling a bit bombarded lately with advertisements for colleges and universities.  I cannot even fathom what an advertisement before a movie would cost?  Why the hell are school's spending money on big time advertising?  You must ask yourself, if these school's have so much extra cash floating around to spend on advertisements then why is your tuition so high?  I am now completely convinced that colleges and universities are just another corporation out to get your money and have absolutely no interest in your well-being.  If someone was truly interested in taking a course in school, they would go on their nearest computer and look up the school's in their neighbourhood or for school's that offer the courses they are interested in.  I believe that if someone really wanted to go to school they would not chose to do so because an advertisement told them to, I would hope that they would come to that decision based upon their own distinct rational thoughts and desire to gain knowledge in a specific area of study.  I cannot think of any justification for any school to pay for an advertisement on a big screen at a theater.  The only reason I can come up with is that they want people to buy into the illusion that a college will nail you a great job and a brighter future.  Nowadays, this is just not so.  I see a George Brown billboard bright and clear when I travel down the dark and gloomy industrial part of Mississauga.  This resonates with me because I am a graduate of George Brown.  The billboard states:  George Brown Gets You The Job.
I could not find the actual billboard but please accept this one instead!
I found a great little job after college.  I worked for a clothing company and prepared the pieces of clothing by serging the edges and adding notions, wrapping it up nicely to be sent off to the asian home sewers.  I also did some alterations sometimes and I inspected and pressed the clothes when they came back from the home sewer.  I made 10$ an hour, minimum wage was 9$ back then.  The Ryerson graduate who was the main alterations lady made 15$ hour, I wonder if she has even paid off her tuition fees yet?  The woman who owned the clothing store studied at George Brown but did not obtain a diploma.  So to break it down, there was a University Graduate hunched over a sewing machine all day for 15$ an hour, a college graduate hunched over a serger and a ironing board for 10$ hour (not to forget the sad reality of the woman whom were actually sewing the garments at home) and a lady who merely took a few courses owning the business that kept her going until her early retirement.  She actually ended up retiring a year after I started working there, sales were starting to get slow so she sold the building and retired off the profits.  Good for her.  My point to this is that the one person whom did not obtain any diploma was the best off out of all of us.  Jobs like those were scarce in my early twenties, but at least they existed.  Jobs as a seamstress are now endangered and on the verge of extinction.

After living on my own for a bit, I moved back home to live with my parents, it is nearing 4 years now that I have been looking for work in the field in which I have a diploma from and I graduated with top grades.  First of all, grades don't mean shit in the work force, I could just as well be one of the dimwits who asked to copy my work for all the interviewer or the employer knows.  You can assume that I do not apply for jobs, or that I am not aggressive enough, and maybe under your expectations that could be true, or maybe that is just not the case at all.  I apply to almost every job that comes up as a skilled designer and sewer, especially in the theater industry.  I thought that the entertainment industry would be the only place where jobs for people like me could exist, but those jobs are so scarce or someone already has the job, or I do not have experience on paper and I cannot get experience until I get hired and I am just lost in a sea of graduates who cannot find work.

I applied for a factory position sorting clothing in the industrial area of Mississauga, where this billboard shouts out at me so boldly that George Brown will get me the job.  A minimum wage paying factory job would not even so much as give me an interview or a call back that the position was filled.  They took my SIN number and now I am concerned that they are using it for one of their immigrant workers behind those locked doors.  I went to the factory to fill out the application, what a superb screening process by the way, one look at my white ass and they ushered me out the heavily guarded and locked doors.  Why does a recycling clothing company need to lock all the doors so no one from the public can gain access unless they invite you in?  Maybe since I have so much trouble finding work I should amuse myself and head back over there, demand the application back on the grounds they have my SIN number on file and question the locked doors?  Why not stir it up, little darling?

When I was in college I had to take a few courses that did not benefit me at all, they were fillers and mandatory in order to gain the diploma.  What is the point of paying for an education that makes you take classes that are unnecessary and do not teach you anything that is related to your desired education plan.  And of course they give you the illusion of choice, a list of all the unnecessary courses that you do not need and you get to chose one of them all on your own.  The worst part is, the teacher's know that the students do not care about the class because it was a mandatory class and therefore the teachers don't care either; as if the class was mandatory to them as well.

How does this benefit the individual?  How does this benefit society?  Perhaps the point is for it not to benefit us, then who benefits?

If the school system is corrupt how far will it go to serve it's purpose?  Now ask yourself what happens when the teachers are taught the wrong information, and they spread what they think they've learned by teaching you these falsities and then you go out in the world never having really questioned anything or anyone your entire life and thus never really truly gaining an education?

http://www.knowledgeoftoday.org/2012/02/education-college-conspiracy-exposed.html

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/the-new-underclass-213043737.html

No comments:

Post a Comment