Saturday 27 October 2012

Quality vs. Quantity


I understand that these communication devices such as facebook, tumblr, and my blog are becoming over run with quotes and pictures with quotes on them but it does not bother me.  I would much rather hear what Eleanor Roosevelt said than what some acquaintance from years ago ate for dinner or how big their poop was after said dinner.  We are communicating more with all these things but saying so much less.  I like a funny joke, a chat about things happening in the world,  and yes, I even don't mind those people constantly posting photos of their babies because that is important and meaningful.  With text messaging it is so easy to just tell a friend every single thought that is on our mind at any given moment, whereas if we took the time each day to call a friend we would most likely only bring up what was most important.  When you are about to send a text, think to yourself, is this worth taking the time to call the friend and explain, if not, then is it really worth saying?  Believe me I am as guilty as anyone else for sending some stupid thought I had in my head, or a guess what I'm eating right now text.  But deep down inside I know it's stupid and it's killing the quality of our communication.  Something's got to give.

Many of these quotes I share truly do stay with me all day and act as reminders whenever I stray in an undesirable way.  These wonderful anecdotes shine light on the most conflicting times.  I often speak in song, as I like to say.  Which means in any conversation I could quote a song, easily and without effort.  I as well, have thoughts of my own, which is what I have been sharing more frequently than ever before this past year.  Many times when I have these thoughts of my own, I often find someone else having said the same thing somewhere down the line.  So it is hard for me to consider my random thoughts totally original but I can say, we are all one.

One recurring theme that has been troublesome this past year is the idea that, if you know a friend longer than another automatically this makes your friendship of greater importance. That is utter bullshit and only the smallest minds can think that quantity wins over quality, and if that is you then I would seriously asses the situation of your thought patterns.  Nothing anyone can say or do will deter from the truth.  The truth is that if you have only known someone for one year and in that entire year together only respect was given, only kind words spoken, only truthful actions, etc. then that is a friendship to be cherished, one to meditate on and bring you comfort and happiness.  If you have known someone for an entire lifetime but during that time, hurtful words spoken, forceful actions, lack of respect, etc but you keep that friend close for the mere sake that time is on your side?  That is sick.  That causes heart ache.  That is a small minds approach to life.  Open your mind and open your heart and try to get out of old habits.  Forgiveness is a beautiful thing, god knows I have had friends who have come in and out of my life and forgiving and moving on is the best possible outcome at the end.  This can only happen when someone does any wrong action and learns from it and changes.  It is inspiring.  Some people never learn, others never stop learning.  I call this the great divide.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein

As much as I think this is a great quote, it is not the true definition of insanity, in fact this is actually the definition of determination.  However, the point I wish to make with this one is about watching people slip back into old detrimental habits.  Like quiting smoking and then picking it up again.  What for?  You know it's harmful to yourself, the people around you, and the environment.  I picked up smoking again while in Europe for a month or so but as soon as I returned home I said, NO, this is not me.  I used it to aid me during a troublesome time and now that things are gold again it has no use.  Falling is easy, getting back up takes strength.  If one is dating someone and you know they used to have the tendency to do drugs, drink a lot, drink and drive, sleep around, treat woman (including their own mother) with no respect, but changed all these habits when dating you it is very difficult to break up knowing that all this potential they have shown you will be thrown down the toilet.  Into the abyss of nothingness.  As if the better person they became never even existed and was a figment of your imagination.  I quote Californication: "You have to love him for who he is, not his potential."  Men and woman out there, stop trying to "change" the "bad" guy or girl.  Find a decent human being, someone who is living up to their potential.  You can't date someone for what they can be, you must be with someone for who they are.  It is an immature way to go about finding a partner that almost every single person has fallen prey to at one time or another.  It all stems back to truly loving yourself first. 

Anyway, I am sure I could go on and on but I have to glue some constellations onto my dress for tonight's Halloween Jam, BOOYAH! 

2 comments: