Wednesday 11 January 2012

I drew the duck blue because...



"I drew the duck blue because I've never seen a blue duck before aaaaand to be honest with you, I wanted to see a blue duck."  I can always find a reason to quote Billy Madison, in this case it is to explain, "Why the name?"  In my opinion, "I drew the duck blue" should suffice as an explanation; to me it means "who really cares, a rose by any other name blah blah blah..."

A usual response of mine.  But today I will give a little explanation.  Just for fun because I now have a blog.  An open journal.  I am scared of this I must admit.

I believe that it is possible for something special to happen everyday.  Of course it truly is a matter of perception; what one believes "special" to be.  One of the reasons I don't always explain things is because people have so many perceptions of what reality is and at times it can feel like you're bashing your head against a wall if you are speaking to someone with a closed mind.  I love talking things out with reasonable, somewhat-intellectual, interesting people but I won't get into a discussion with walls (a metaphor for unreasonable people).  Not to be mistaken with actual walls because I do enjoy talking to those.  I like dissecting everything, thoroughly thinking things through, coming to a true and definite conclusion.  It takes me days at times, weeks, even years.   

I saw this man ^ Aloe Blacc perform, with his band, November 2010 at Wrong Bar in Toronto.  It was by far the best live performance I saw that year.  Hell, I'd go as far as to say that his album, Good Things, was The best album of 2010.  Live music is inspiring.  If anyone says otherwise than they are going to the wrong shows.  While I was enjoying the soul, the energy, the intimate crowd, the excitement, the fun, the "show", I had a wee bit of an epiphany.  The venue is a quaint bar and I was standing quite close to the stage on top of some stairs, it was a great spot to say the least.  So as I'm watching Mr. Blacc pour his everything into this performance I start thinking to myself, "I bet he struggled so much to get here."  He has not reached super stardom success, but he is able to travel and support himself on a music career.  I bet he loves what he does every single day.  I bet he has had to work hard his whole life and had to take up many random jobs to pay the bills at times.  Clearly, he persevered with his passion and is now spreading good vibes all over the world.  At that time in my life I was seriously considering applying to work at a bank.  I shudder at the thought today, "Damn you system you almost got me!"  I think it is safe to say that the work I do will never provide me a secure income and I will probably never have benefits.  I thought for a brief time that maybe it would be a good idea to get a job at a bank for 1 year.  I figured that job would earn me up to $30,000 in one year and  because I don't cost much to function on this earth I would be able to save more money than I'd ever seen in my life.  Then I would just up and quit to travel the world with my pot-o-gold.  That evening, Aloe Blacc inspired me to not only persevere with my craft but to find work that I believe in and that I can get behind.  I have found inspiring work in the last year and it has made me very happy.  I haven't made as much money as I would have if I was able to obtain a job at the bank but my end result is exactly what I would have been working for.  I got what my idea of success is on my own terms in the way that has enriched my life and furthermore it is taking me on a path that is unconventional and I wouldn't want it to be any other way.

Or as Ayn Rand would say:
"It was a symphony of triumph. The notes flowed up, they spoke of rising and they were the rising itself, they were the essence and the form of upward motion, they seemed to embody every human act and thought that had ascent as its motive. It was a sunburst of sound, breaking out of hiding and spreading open. It had the freedom of release and the tension of purpose. It swept space clean and left nothing but the joy of an unobstructed effort. Only a faint echo within the sounds spoke of that from which the music had escaped, but spoke in laughing astonishment at the discovery that there was no ugliness or pain, and there never had had to be. It was the song of an immense deliverance.”

No comments:

Post a Comment